torsdag 22. september 2011

The Rocca of Bolsena.

From the top of its towers, the Rocca of Bolsena affords an enchanting panorama of the lake and the entire town, its construction dates back to 1295 when it was built at the wish of the rulers of Orvieto, as Bolsena was at the time under the rule of Orvieto.


In 1334 Ermanno Monaldeschi became the ruler of Bolsena, and in the XIV and XV century the Monaldeschi family carried out various works on the castle, in particular improving the castle's defensive capacity. The rule of the Monaldeschi family ended in 1451, and in 1460 the 'Rocca' was in a state of disrepair; at the beginning of the XVI century the whole castle was reconstructed. In the following years part of the castle became a prison, and with the collapse of the castle's drawbridges the inside of the castle began to fall down. In 1612 the 'Rocca' of Bolsena was handed over to Cardinal Vanesio, Bishop of Orvieto, as a residence for the summer months. He was obliged, however, to care for the upkeep the of the castle.A powerful earthquake in 1665 caused considerable damage to the castle, and in 1750 Benedetto XIV leased the castle to Captain Florido Zampi on condition that he should pay for any necessary repairs. At the beginning of the twentieth century restoration work financed by the ministry for public works, began. In 1977, with funding given by the region of Lazio work began on the creation and furnishing of a museum.


The Castle Museum
The museum which can be found inside the castle, is divided in the three floors and serves as center for scientific research as well as being a venue for cultural meetings following didactic programmes. Given that the castle serves the whole surrounding area, accordingly its museum deals not only with the history of Bolsena but also with all the other towns which surround or are close to the lake. Open to the public: Yes

Info: funnet på nettet.
Foto: TAA.



Museum opening times
Winter (from november)
Wed - Thur - Fri:
10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Sat - Sun - bank holidays and days preceding bank holidays: 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
and 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Summer (from mid july)
open all week:
10 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Spring and autumn
open all week: 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Closed on Monday

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Har du spørsmål til innlegget ? Skriv det gjerne her.